Friday 19 November 2010

Christmas Giving - Gifts That Give Twice

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and virtual hugs this week while I have battled sinus and ear infections.  I am slowly on the mend and looking forward to being able to craft and blog more regularly!
Today's post is, yes, about Christmas again.  I know, I am a little obsessed with the topic, but at this time of year when we get all caught up with spending hundreds of dollars on gifts, I thought I would highlight some gifts that "give twice", as it were.


One way of giving a gift that gives twice is by purchasing a handmade item from the Creative Collective charity auction for the Starlight Foundation.  There are twenty-seven different handmade items (including a Two Cheeky Monkeys vintage teacup art print!) you can bid on, many of which would make beautiful gifts for someone this Christmas.  And even better, the proceeds raised from this auction will support the Starlight Foundation's work with seriously ill and hospitalised children.


For those who need a gift for the person who has everything or are tired of buying grandparents and neighbours the same box of chocolates every Christmas, charitable organisations such as TEAR, World Vision and Compassion offer "gift catalogues" from which one can "buy" presents for friends and family.  You essentially donate money to provide for a specific need, for example childhood immunisation or educational supplies in a third world country in which these organisations work.  In return, you receive a gift card with a picture and information about the work you are supporting.  So, you can now give your grandparents or neighbours that box of chocolates (or home made biscuits!) as well as a gift card outlining a much needed "gift" you have bought for a community in need on their behalf.
I hope this little list of ideas has given you some inspiration for any Christmas shopping you will be doing this year.  I think it would be wonderful if, this Christmas, the presents we give and receive will benefit not only the receiver, but others whom we will probably never meet or know were blessed by our gift.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea....
    Thanks for sharing.
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post... I love these ideas for gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful ideas! Thank you for these suggestions and links!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always nice to give a gift that gives twice.

    I even have 3 items in my shop that are to benefit my DIL's Dad. There's a link for a page on my blog.

    Have a wonderful day! Oh, and if you have time, stop by and enter the current giveaway
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2010/11/win-it-wednesday-new-giveaway_17.html


    Have a wonderful Friday!

    <><

    ReplyDelete

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!