Monday 25 June 2012

A Grieving Heart - One Year On


A year ago, my life, and the lives of my family, were turned upside down in a way which left us reeling.  You see, a year ago, my dad somewhat unexpectedly lost his battle with cancer, leaving us all bereft of this humble and godly man's presence in our lives.  It is a loss with which I am still coming to terms; one which will probably take many years to deal with and comprehend. 
But even though I don't understand why my dad was taken from us so soon, I am thankful for everyone who tried to comfort us in our time of need.  And I am especially thankful that I have God in my life, as well as the wider church family.  I know my despair would have been even greater had it not been for God's presence in my life.
How can I say this?  Because I truly believe the Bible's assertion that God "comforts us in all our troubles" and that "through Christ our comfort overflows" (2 Corinthians, chapter 1, verses 4-5).  Even though I miss my dad every day and am reminded of him in so many little ways, and even though I sometimes struggle with the knowledge that I may never find out the reason for my pain (at least not in this lifetime), I still know God's comfort, be it either through what the Bible has to say or simply through the various people he has put in my life who actively seek to comfort and encourage me or my family in whatever way they can.  I also know that my dad is now in a better place, where he is at peace forever, and I'll take our loss for him to have that gain.
So thank you to all of you who have prayed for us, commented on posts, sent emails/cards/gifts, cooked meals or simply been a friend.  You have touched me with your compassion for my suffering, and I thank God for each and every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!