Friday 5 November 2010

Feature Friday and Special Offer - Filmless Photos

My featured artist for the week is the very lovely Kirsty of Filmless Photos!  Kirsty is a very talented photographer whom I met through the Australian Etsy DUST team.  Want to see some of her work and find out how you can be the proud owner of one or more of her pieces?  Then keep reading!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I currently live and work in Wagga Wagga, NSW, which is in between Sydney and Melbourne (inland) but am originally from North Queensland. I work full time as an Occupational Therapist but dream of making that work part time (becuase for the most part I do enjoy it) and growing Filmless Photos to be a viable business. I am also in the middle (kind of at the end bit) of renovating my house - it's been a 3 year job!

Describe yourself in 5 words.
 Quirky, eccentric, imaginative, caring, stubborn.


When and how did you first start crafting/creating?
I think I have always been creative. As a kid I enjoyed arts/crafts and drama, as a teenager I played music, drama and continued with the art/craft thing. I've always enjoyed photography (point and shoot stuff) but didn't get my first play with an SLR until I was around 18. I bought my first digital SLR (after playing with someone else's) about 3 years ago and then started getting serious about it all. I am completely self taught but I am at the stage now where I would love to have some proper studio training - it's an area of photography I would like to have a play with. At the moment - I've been doing it on my own with the help of the photographic online community (which is incredibly helpful and supportive)

What do you create and what are your favourite materials with which to work?
I create photographic art from what already exisits in the world. I hope that I create images which invoke memories and emotions. I hope it makes people smile.
I have also recently started a product photography venture, where I can provide small sellers with good product photos so they can sell online. I know some people hate taking photos, and I am a nerd and like it :) It was obvious that I could fill a gap there and enjoy doing it.
My favourite materials - my camera and my lenses (Canon 50mm 1.4 and my Tamron 90mm Macro lenses are my favourite).


When and how did you start selling online?
I started selling online in 2009. I was a shopper on Etsy before I was a seller and it purely came about as an experiment. I noticed other people selling their photography online and though "hey, I can do that" and then Filmless Photos was born. It's grown a little bit since then...

Describe your store in 5 words
The way I see it...  [Edit: Oooh, she's philosophical!   :) ]

Who or what are the influences behind your creations?
I don't know if I can pin point the influences behind my work. I think it's a combination of a lot of things, including the world around me. I definately know I wouldn't be doing this without the support and encouragement of my partner and family - they are the ones that tell me that I can do it and provide guidence and ideas - I really do appreciate and cherish that.


Where can we find you online?
Etsy www.etsy.com/shop/kirsty2715

Special Offer Alert: Kirsty is offering 10% off to Two Cheeky Monkeys readers who use the code TWOCHEEKYMONKEYS at checkout.  You will be refunded the difference or you can request a revised invoice.

2 comments:

  1. Always nice to meet the person behing the shopfront! Great feature!

    ReplyDelete

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!